Op-ed: Are public services doing their jobs effectively?

Kenobi

Chartered Old-School
May 25, 2013
PNucHvZ.png

Are public services doing their jobs effectively?
A San Andreas News opinion editorial
Xgyitzs.png

Author: Jack Kenobi
Date: Oct 28th, 2018

Tags: public service, police, fire, medical, fbi, government

Disclaimer: Any scrutiny directed as a result of this op-ed is not liable under the San Andreas News Network organization.

toSbeSH.jpg
Caption: City Hall building after city officials had meeting to discuss the effectiveness of the city's public services.

For many years in Los Santos, we've had times of greatness and of inadequacy. Today at 8:19 a.m., city officials had a meeting discussing how well the city's public services have been performing this year. There were many mixed feelings about the performance of each service, especially with the police (which is to be expected). I have decided to go in depth on each service to see what's dividing city officials and the citizenry.

Los Santos Police Department

I started with the most controversial civil service; the police department. Many people agree that the police department has vastly changed since its formation decades ago. However, what's not agreed upon is whether those changes are positive or negative. To figure out this dilemma, I went directly to the people for answers on how they feel and have come up with a conclusion.

What many can agree on, despite the division, is that the current police chief, Hank Splitzer, has put much time into making the department more efficient and orderly. The changes he's delivered surpass many previous administrations. From accounts taken from Daniel Issac, a man trying to make a living to support his mother who has cancer, "PD nowadays is working better... Hank Splitzer is such giving more time in it, he's a bit more serious and giving interest..." He goes on to say that the police department "is the most active department of this city."
From his thoughts and others of undisclosed sources, it seems almost undisputable that the police department may in fact be a great department. However, things went downhill very fast when interviewing Blak Gucci, once the most notorious of them all. He was providing his thoughts on the modern-day police department, where he briefly described them as "useless." The next instance, a police officer jumps out of nowhere and places Gucci in custody.

fz1XJtp.jpg
Caption: Blak Gucci being apprehended and taken into custody by Officer Mark Jet.
gyYnOVb.jpg
Caption: Bystanders attempt to free Gucci from the custody of Officer Jet.

This was a very intriguing surprise, and, more or less, ironic, that this occurred right as Gucci was speaking badly of the police department. As a reporter, I needed to get to the bottom of this incident. Why was Gucci apprehended at the same time he was speaking badly of the police? Why didn't the officer use the force matrix and just went in guns blazing? I eventually tracked down the officer and this was his rather brief statement. "He was helping a criminal," Officer Jet stated to me, and went on his way. Note that Gucci was with me the entire time not convening with anyone else but me. I will let you, the viewers, decide what to make of this incident.

Los Santos Fire and Medical Department

The Fire and Medical Department (FMD) has always been on the backburner when it came to its public ratings of their service. The FMD's track record has always been "too slow," "not enough medics on call," and in general inefficient. Under the leadership of Commissioner Jaspreet Singh, however, it has greatly improved its operations and efficiency, increasing its numbers and available medics. As Issac puts it, "they're doing their best to save [lives]... I would say its best [be]cause of Jaspreet [Singh], the way he trains medics... how to drive." There's no doubt that the Fire and Medical Department is doing much better under Commissioner Singh's leadership compared to past commissioners.
However, Gucci has a different view of the FMD. "they're good but they need more members and be faster." While I endorse Issac's views on the FMD, Gucci does bring up a good point; the current way the department is, there could be more medics. One thing I have personally noticed, according to the city's annual census, that the death rate is at an all-time low, but it is worth noting that the population is also in fact lower, which plays a role in why the death rate is low as well.
Taking both statements into account, the Fire and Medical Department has improved in some areas, and needs improvements in other areas. There is also one observation I have made myself which made me distraught, and brought about another issue into the spotlight.

98pnR88.jpg
Caption: Paramedic Dylan Comey of the Fire and Medical Department in possession of a firearm.

Your eyes do not deceive you, this medic is in possession of not just any firearm, but one which has been deemed illegal under the law of the land. I did some digging, finding the identity of this medic is Paramedic Dylan Comey. After tracking down Comey I wished to question him on why he had in possession an illegal firearm. Let alone the fact that the firearm is deemed illegal, but the FMD does not allow firearms (with the exception of a shotgun) whatsoever to begin with. Comey did not wish to submit to any questioning by me.

Federal Bureau of Investigation

Finally, but not least, the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), which of course isn't exclusive to the city of Los Santos but is scrutinized throughout the entire country. The current director of the FBI, Ryder Murdoc, has received much criticism, not only from the public, but from other departments who cooperate with them. Not too long ago the Los Santos Police Department called out the FBI on allegations of misconduct against them and acting in regions that they otherwise would not have permission to do so, which lasted for months. To this day, the FBI receives bad criticism from the police department, however Police Chief Splitzer had made a neutral pact with Director Murdoc.
As most people's accounts regarding the FBI have been, Issac shares his thoughts. "The agents there are so greedy... they don't see who is the most criminal, who has the most noto[riety], who's the most wanted... they all see who has the most money... they casefile them just to get their money." The FBI, in its past days of its operations in Los Santos, used to be a pristine and effective service to the people, successfully aiding the police in its more high-profile cases and task forces. Nowadays, their relations are so skewed some of their personnel would "rather die" than working with the other.
Despite all of this, the FBI's success rates, surprisingly enough, have not fallen at all. While this current administration seems to be more derogatory, their operations still lead to success, with or without the police's assistance.

v1FyRP8.jpg
Caption: Agents of the FBI in a standoff against a most wanted target.

As witnessed earlier today, their operations seem to be effective at apprehending the target, regardless of how divergent and independent they may be.

The Verdict

Criticism is always a good thing, as it keeps our leaders in check making sure they are working in our best interests. It is our job, as the public who are living under these leaders, to voice our concerns to make sure they are heard to invoke change. It's not a matter of which one is the best, because when our public services aren't cooperating with one another, that's when all of them fail. The only way for them to succeed is to work together as a unit. Whenever you see something you want changed, don't remain quiet, be heard!

Written and published by Jack Kenobi, Network Director of the San Andreas News Network.

Latz

Retired Admin
Old-School 2015
Nov 10, 2017
Cool one. I hope that the Departments do their best and give more interest.